Our History

St. Luke's Presbyterian Church began as a mission outpost sponsored jointly by Bellaire and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Churches, together with Brazos Presbytery (now The Presbytery of New Covenant) of the Presbyterian Church, U.S. (now the Presbyterian Church USA).

The first worship service was held Sunday, March 16, 1952 in the auditorium of Pershing Junior High School, with Dr. Malcolm L. Purcell, Brazos Presbytery's Chairman of Church Extension, preaching. His text was "Behold, I have set before you an open door" (Revelation 3:8). The first Sunday school session was held April 20, 1952.

An organizational meeting was held September 21, 1952.  Charter members were received at this meeting.  At a congregational meeting immediately afterward, the congregation voted unanimously to name the church "St. Luke's Presbyterian Church." Officers were elected; and the congregation voted unanimously to call the Reverend Joe Owen as pastor of the church.

On October 26, 1952, St. Luke's moved from Pershing Junior High School to Mark Twain Elementary School, where more classroom space was available. At a congregational meeting on November 25, 1952, a budget of $10,415 was adopted and subscribed.

On April 1, 1953, the church closed its first year with 72 active adult members, a Sunday school enrollment of 111, and 9 young people in the youth group. There was a vigorous visitation program.  The men of the church met each month for dinner and a program.  Family night suppers were held monthly in the activities building at Bellaire Presbyterian Church.  Each Sunday after worship, there was a coffee hour at the homes of church members.

The church building, located at 8915 Timberside Drive (across from Longfellow Elementary School) was constructed in three stages. The first unit, which included the Fellowship Hall, Kitchen, offices and classrooms, was dedicated February 26, 1956. The second unit, consisting of two stories devoted to classroom space, was occupied beginning July 26, 1959.  The third unit, including the sanctuary, choir loft and rehearsal room, offices, library and classrooms was dedicated November 20, 1966.

On March 15, 1990, the second unit sustained extensive damage from a fire. The damaged rooms were restored and other parts of the building have been remodeled or refurbished.

Through the years, these ministers have served St. Luke's with zeal and commitment: the Reverend Joe M. Owen, the Reverend James A. Beverley, the Reverend Davis M. Taylor, the Reverend David G. Berry, the Reverend Kenneth Sinclair, the Reverend Dr. Fairfax Fullerton Fair, and currently the Reverend W. Scott Harbison.

Our current Director of Music/Organist-Choirmaster Marvin Gaspard has served St. Luke's with and outstanding music program since December, 1995. 

On Sunday, September 22, 2002, St. Luke's capped off a year of celebration in commemoration of our 50th anniversary. Three of the former pastors, a former Christian Educator, and many former members of the church from as far away as Arizona and North Carolina returned for the festivities. An anthem, composed for the occasion by Anna Laura Page, was performed for the first time in worship that day.

St. Luke's has been richly blessed, and we eagerly anticipate our future service to the glory of God.

Come be a part of our history!