ST. LUKE’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HISTORY
St. Luke’s Presbyterian church began as a mission outpost sponsored jointly by Bellaire
and St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Churches together with Brazos Presbytery
(now Presbytery of New Covenant) of the Presbyterian Church U.S. (now Presbyterian Church U.S.A.).
March 16, 1952 – First worship service was held in the auditorium of Pershing Junior High School.
- Dr. Malcolm L. Purcell, Brazos Presbytery’s Chairman of Church Extension preached. His text was, “Behold, I have set before you an open door…” (Revelation 3:8)
April 20, 1952 – First Sunday school session.
September 21, 1952 –
- Organizational meeting to receive charter members
- Congregational meeting unanimously voted for the following:
– Named the church “St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church”
– Elected church officers
– Called the Reverend Joe Owen as pastor
October 26, 1952 – Moved to Mark Twain Elementary School with more classroom space.
November 25, 1952 – Congregational meeting when a $10,415 budget was adopted and subscribed.
April 1, 1953 – St. Luke’s celebrated first year.
- 72 active adult members
- Sunday school enrollment of 111
- Youth group enrollment of 9
- Vigorous visitation program
- Sunday morning after-worship coffee hour in members’ homes
- Family night suppers monthly at Bellaire Presbyterian Church
- Men of the church met monthly for dinner and a program
The current church building, located at 8915 Timberside Drive, was constructed in three stages:
- February 26, 1956 – First unit dedicated (fellowship hall, kitchen, offices, and classrooms)
- July 26, 1959 – Second unit dedicated (two stories of classroom space)
- November 20, 1966 – Third unit dedicated (sanctuary, choir loft and rehearsal room, office, library and classroom)
March 15, 1990 – Second unit sustained extensive fire damage. The damaged rooms were restored.
Pastors serving St. Luke’s through the years:
- The Reverend Joe M. Owen
- The Reverend James A. Beverley
- The Reverend Davis M. Taylor
- The Reverend David G. Berry
- The Reverend Kenneth Sinclair
- The Reverend Dr. Fairfax Fullerton Fair
- The Reverend W. Scott Harbison (current)